Sometimes a single picture is all it takes to ruin your day. On Thursday morning I saw a picture come up in the Facebook memories thing of Bride. She of course was beautiful but also was very happy in the picture. Not sure what were doing or where we were going but she was happy about it. That was the start of a spiral for me and I took the day off. I spent all day perusing digital photos in my phone and hers. We shared so many memories and so many experiences and so many adventures together. Then on Friday I remembered that I had set both our phones up years and years ago to automatically upload our photos to a drop box account. Pretty much every picture either one of us took since 2007/2008 was there.
Friday, I spent the day digging through even more memories
in digital format. I found so many pictures,
or her, of us, and of us with family and friends. I sent out a few to folks who were in them, I
laughed and cried and did a lot of both. One of the things that made me laugh was how
many selfies she took of herself. One of
two things was happening, I’m pretty sure.
I’m pretty sure she was using her phone as a mirror and just hit the
button. The other one is, and this makes
me laugh, is that she would take pictures to send to her friends or sisters to
get their opinion on a new hair style, or new earrings or blouse.
Hahaha, she had a face she made when she took those
pictures, I’m not sharing em but for those who got them, you know what I’m
talking about. What struck me rummaging through
our life in pictures wasn’t the pictures themselves. It was that each one represented a tiny
moment in her day that she thought was worth sharing with someone she loved. There must have been hundreds of them. Looking through them felt less like looking
at selfies and more like seeing little glimpses of her personality scattered
across the years. The overwhelming
takeaway was how much fun she was having, whether trying on earrings, showing off
a new haircut or taking a picture for no reason at all. Bride just looked happy in all of them.
We watched the sunset a lot together, our favorite place was
a park with a boat ramp that was close to our home in Jax. We watched sunrises together but not as much,
she was less a morning person than me. So
many moments where she’d be wearing that beautiful smile. I swear I can hear that laughter coming from
her, the laughter that was so contagious, and that I loved. Looking at picture after picture I realized we
spent an awful lot of time just sitting next to each other watching the sun go down
and dumbasses trying to get their boats loaded up. We enjoyed those things, of course, but at
the end of the day, we just liked hanging with each other.
I had also completely forgotten how many tiaras she owned. Apparently, it was a shocking number. I even got her one that spelled out Bride that
was bedazzled. I remember once we were out
to dinner and she had a pretty festive one on, the waitress asked what the occasion
was. With a straight face, and a tiara
on her head, she says “why would you ask that?” That created an awkward moment, and she never
acknowledged it was anything but normal for her to have it on. Looking through all those pictures, I
realized the tiaras were probably not about the tiaras. They were just another example of Bride being
Bride. If she thought something was fun,
or cool, she did it. She wasn’t one for
waiting for permission or worrying about whether anyone might think it was
silly, she just enjoyed it.
I found one picture of when we redid our bathroom and were
hanging a big mirror up. Well before we
did, we decided to sign and date the wall for someone in the future to
find. She signed hers with Ham, a
nickname she ended up with when we were still dating that stuck all the way through. I think I have written about her being called
Sam by her family. I learned from her
older sister the origin story of that at her celebration of life. Anyway, I called her honey a lot, and one time
I couldn’t get Sam or Honey out and voila, the first Ham was born. That eventually turned into Hamster.
Those were a couple of my pet names I had for her. We’d say Ham and Kins, together again any
time we got back to together after being apart.
I got a Tee shirt made at a shop in the mall that said “Smittykins
little Hamster”. Looking at that picture
just reinforced how much of our marriage existed in a language that probably
sounded ridiculous to everyone else. Nicknames,
phrases, inside jokes, little traditions that developed over the years we spent
together. We built an entire vocabulary
that only we knew. At the time it felt
completely normal to us. Looking back, those
little things were a big part of what made our relationship uniquely ours.
Looking back, I realized the nose ring was a lot like the tiaras. Just one more example of Bride being Bride. Most people spend their lives worrying about
what others think about them, not Sandy.
She instead spent her time deciding what sounded fun and doing that
instead. Looking at those pictures
reminded me that Bride was never done becoming herself. She gave herself permission to enjoy her life
in a way that I always admired and tried to emulate.
Saturday, I dug out some boxes of actual pictures from dating
back to before we got married. Pictures of
us when we all lived in the barracks and spent time at the rec center, playing
pool, cooking on the pit and playing one handed volley ball. I also remember making some pretty big
breakfasts over there as well. Two kids,
with no idea where life would take us.
We often wondered about the folks we were stationed with, if any of them
could have predicted we would have made it.
Looking at those pictures now, I am not sure we could have imagined all the
places we would go, all the people we’d meet or all the memories we would make
together.
This picture stood out more than most for a few reasons.
First, this was her burfday in 2025 and it was one of the ones we were not together. She of course had a taira on. And she was also in the hospital in Texas, she had fallen and bonked her head, I went when that happened but because they had to drill holes in head to relieve the pressure, it was scary. She also could not could fly back with me to Oregon right away, and I had to work.
None of that is what caught my eye in this picture though. What jumps out to me is her face. She was getting a present, or as she called them
prizes. She loved prizes. There was something wonderfully childlike
about the way she reacted when she got a prize, regardless of what it was. For a little while she’d light up like a kid on
Christmas morning. Looking at that
picture now, I can still see that joy. I
loved that about her. And if I am being
honest, the thought of never experiencing that again makes my heart hurt.
I went on a scavenger hunt looking for memories because I was
missing her. What I ended up finding was
overwhelming evidence that we had a wonderful, ridiculous and joyful life
together. Not a perfect life, not a
storybook life. It was simply just our real
life. A life filled with laughter,
adventures, love, family, friends, and countless little moments that seemed ordinary
at the time, but now mean everything. I guess
that’s the price of admission, missing them when we loved them so much. But after spending a few days wandering
through our memories, I can honestly say it was worth every penny and I would gladly
pay it again. Because the truth is, I am so grateful for the time we got together.
Damn it, I miss her.
Man did we have a hell of an adventure.
Such wonderful memories and shared with us….beautifully 💕
ReplyDeleteVery cool, thanks. To butcher some song I’ve heard, “You could have missed the pain, but you’d have had to miss the dance”.
ReplyDelete