Smithlandia was never really a destination for us. It was just a place where life happened. When we moved in 10 years ago, it felt like the name was waiting for us there amongst the cedars and doug firs. We hauled all manner of things back that 3/8th of a mile gravel driveway. Groceries, plants, lumber for projects and old car parts. We had all manner of things delivered, from UPS, USPS, FedEx and others. It became our house right away. Then, over time and a thousand ordinary days, it became our home. Eventually, it became fully Smithlandia.
This week I carried a part of Sandy back there. I dropped some of her ashes into Smith River,
or Cedar Creek if you wanna listen what the county calls it. We always called it Smith River. That got me to wondering, what does it really
mean to leave a part of someone in a place where they had already left so much
of themselves?
As her ashes hit the water, they swirled for a moment and
then disappeared. I was expecting the
moment to feel larger somehow than it did in the few seconds it took. More final maybe, or maybe more significant. Instead, what struck me was how quickly they
were gone. Within seconds the current
carried them away, and as they say, that was that. Except it
wasn’t.
Standing there, I realized I had been thinking about this
all wrong. I thought the ashes were the thing
I was bringing back to Smithlandia. Watching
them disappear made me realize that Smithlandia was already full of her. Not necessarily in big dramatic moments, although
there were some of those. I am talking
about the ordinary moments. She was
there in the driveway that we traveled thousands of times. She was in the flowers. She was in the projects, including the bridge
replacement. She was in every story, forever
connected to every corner of every acre of this place. I used to think places were sacred because
something important happened there. I wonder
if maybe it has more to do with the life that accumulated over time.
After the ashes were gone, I kneeled there for a moment,
water coming out of my eyeballs, and before I could pull myself back together, Jack’s
hand landed on my shoulder. No speech.
No profound observation. Just the two of
us on a bridge of our own making, listening to Smith River do what it has always
done. Jack could not make this moment
easier. He couldn’t bring Sandy back. He couldn’t fix anything. What he could do was stand there with me. Just the right person showing up at exactly
the moment I needed him. And sometimes,
that is what love looks like.
It occurred to me a bit later that maybe this was part of
what I had been discovering all afternoon.
Smithlandia wasn’t the only thing carrying traces of Sandy. Jack was too.
So were the friends who sat on the ponder porch with us over the years. So were the people who helped us build
projects, celebrate victories, and weather hard seasons. Smith River wasn’t the only place her life
left a mark. Sandy left a mark on
Smithlandia, and on those who knew and loved her and shared that chapter of our
lives.
Maybe that’s what all of us do if we’re lucky.
We leave little pieces of ourselves behind in the places we
love and in the people we share them with.
A bit later I found myself pondering one question in
particular. What exactly did I leave there
this afternoon? Not her. The ashes, sure. But those weren’t Sandy. Sandy is still in the stories of that
place. She’s in the memory of hauling groceries
and car parts up that gravel driveway. She’s
in the bridge we rebuilt ourselves. She’s
in the flowers. And she’s in the house that
slowly became Smithlandia. She’s also in
the people who shared that chapter of life with us. She’s in the stories we still tell. She’s in the lessons we learned along the way.
Standing on the bridge over Smith River, I watched the ashes
float away and realized the only part of Sandy I could lose sight of was the part
I had just dropped into the water. The rest
of her remained exactly where it had always been. In the place.
In the people. In the stories. She was everywhere I looked. The physical evidence washed away. The traces of love, it turns out, are
indelible stains.
No comments:
Post a Comment