Over the last few months, I have spent a lot of time digging through old memories, in my head, in boxes and all the usual places we keep the artifacts of our life. Recently I found two pieces of paper from 1982, one was covered with my scribbling and the other was a cleanly typed copy of those scribblings carefully transferred onto paper one letter at a time. No word processor. No spell checker. No delete key. Just a teenager sitting in front of what I am pretty sure was an IBM Selectric typewriter, trying to get his thoughts in order before committing them to paper.
The typed page had a simple title, A FRIEND.
As I have worked my way through boxes of my childhood, I have
found all sorts of things. Embarrassing
pictures, yeah I had a perm once.
Yearbooks with words from childhood friends, some that endure to this
day. Old report cards that did not show
my potential. Notes, good and bad, from
teachers, and administrators. Pictures
of Grandparents who have been gone many years now. A few things made me smile. A few things made
me cringe. Some things simply did not
age well. That is probably true of all
of us if we have been on this journey long enough.
When I bumped into that typed page, I was expecting more of
the same. I could not have been more wrong. It was quite a surprise. As I read through it I was not struck by the
writing itself. What struck me was the
person who wrote it. I came face to face
with the man I am today. The page was my
attempt, at 17 years old, to define who I should be as a friend, and what I needed
a friend to be for me. Buried there in
the yellowing piece of paper were lines like, “someone who listens to what you’re
really saying” and “someone who will consider your different beliefs, without judgment”,
and “someone you can depend on, anywhere, anytime, for anything”.
What really caught me off guard was realizing those ideas didn’t
come from experience, I didn’t have any.
I had not served in the Navy, I had not built a career, I had not led teams. I had not loved and lost, I had not accumulated
the life lessons that usually get credit for shaping who we are. Yet there they were, sitting on the page in black
ink. A teenager writing about trust, without
calling it trust, acceptance without calling it acceptance, and dependability without
calling it dependability. Somehow those
values were already present long before I had enough life under my belt to
explain where they came from.
The older I get, the less certain I am that life creates our
values. Life most assuredly tests the
shit out of them. It also challenges and
beats them pretty hard. Eventually life refines
them, a polishing maybe. But looking at
that page, I found myself wondering if some of our most important values arrive
earlier than we realize. Maybe life doesn’t
build them as much as simply revealing them to you over time.
I have been writing a lot about memories lately. Most of the things I have uncovered have
reminded me of Sandy. Pictures, notes, little
reminders of the life we cobbled together.
This find was different. This one
reminded me of me. Reading that page
felt a little like opening a time capsule.
Not because it showed me who I used to be, but because it showed me how
long these values have been riding along with me.
I am undeniably different from the 17 year old who typed
those words. Between then and now there
was the Navy, a career in broadcasting, leadership roles, marriage, loss, success,
mistakes, lessons, and experiences that that kid could never have imagined in his
wildest dreams. I am different in
countless ways, but apparently, not in every way.
There are values that have endured through every version of Smitty
that has existed over my life. They
showed up as a young sailor. They showed
up as a small business owner. They
showed up when I was learning to be a broadcast engineer. They showed up during my years with Bride. They show up today in my role as Chief Technology
Officer. They show up in my friendships
and they show up in my writing. That is
a lot of different versions of Smitty.
Don’t get me wrong, 17 year old Smitty was fully capable of
making bad decisions, I’d even say I was quite adept at it. Those report cards from the same boxes can testify
to that. He had PLENTY to learn and more
than a few rough edges. Mostly it was the
dumbassedness that comes with youth. Looking back now though, I can see that he
already had a pretty clear idea of what kind of person he wanted to become. Life added experience, success, failure,
heartbreak, responsibility and a few more grey hairs than I want, but the
compass heading was spot on.
Turns out, they have all been running on a firmware version
that was installed a long time ago. Many
of us spend our lives wondering who we used to be. This week, I got an unexpected answer to that
question, and a realization that the firmware is at the root of who I am. I found a handwritten draft and a typed page
from 1982. For a few minutes, across forty
four years, I got to meet that young man again, and that was pretty damn cool.
Turns out I was not reading something written by a teenager. I was reading the first documented version of
the firmware that I’m still running.
And I keep coming back to the same question - if 17 year old
me already knew trust, acceptance, listening, and dependability were that important,
how much of who I am today was already there, in the black ink on a piece of
paper from 1982.
No comments:
Post a Comment